Monday, March 11, 2013

Happy Monday!

Hope you took some time to do something for yourself this weekend. It's so important to take care of ourselves so we can take care of those we love.  I've been trying to exercise more, sleep on a schedule, rest when I have to and stay hydrated. For me that means sipping hot tea almost constantly.


Today's creative share is a pincushion I made for the splitcoast stampers hat pin swap.  The swap is on its way back, I can't wait to see all the unique hat pins that I get back.  These are a few of the pins I made.



When I saw this idea I just had to try it. The entire hat is cut with spell binders scalloped dies. The trim is Websters and the flower is Prima.

To make the pins I used salt dough.

Recipe
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1cup water

Mix with your hands a roll out.  Then I used stamps and die ink to stamp directly onto the dough. I didn't have little tiny cookie cutters so I cut my dough bu hand.


 Once the dough was cut I put a pin in each on and placed them on a cookie sheet.
Here is my messy counter while I was having fun.

 I tried both older stamping up and new papertrey ink inks and they both worked equally well.
I then baked them at 250 *F for an hour and a half, then turn the oven off and leave them in the oven until they cool.  Once they are cool apply sever layers of spray modge podge. I sealed them each side 3 times, letting each coat of sealer dry 15 minutes. Then let them sit overnight as they will be sticky. 

I'm thinking this is something you could get very creative with. If you give it arty I would love to see.  

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week! 


5 comments:

  1. Joyce, these look really adorable and very creative! You are so right about taking care of yourself...good for you for trying to stay on a sleep schedule. Need to work on that more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh my gosh, Joyce! Are these ever neat... really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever you! What a fun and inspiring project. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!!! TFS this crafty project with us!!! (ohmypaper at SCS)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this looks like fun! The pin cushion is adorable and the salt dough stamping is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, they really do brighten my day!